PDA

View Full Version : Password Glitch?

cpm9ball
10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
The "Facebook Hacker" thread reminded me of this ongoing problem I'm experiencing here on NS.

Since the protocol is such that I am logged off for periods of inactivity of more than 2 hours, I must frequently reenter my username and password. The problem is that the Tab Key does not work as it should. Instead of jumping from the username box to the password box, an entirely new set of boxes is opened just below them. I'm so used to using the Tab Key on all other sites, that I sometimes forget and start to enter my password in the "new" username box where it is visible for anyone to see.

I'm concerned that this glitch will allow someone to steal my password. Why does the Tab Key not function as it should? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

By the way, the "Remember Me" checkbox doesn't work either, nor does it work on CT which is the same basic format as NS. Does anyone have an answer for these problems?

Thanks,

Chris

raider34
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
What browser are you using? I don't normally use the tab button, but I just tried it on FireFox. (From the home page, the third tab click brought me to the username box, and the fourth click brought me to the password box, no other boxes popped up). So that would lead me to believe your browser is the problem.

The Remember Me box is strange. At least it is for me on FireFox; what happens is when I go to the main page my password is already filled in, but my username never is. So I always have to re-enter my username when I log in, but never my password.

cpm9ball
10-09-2010, 10:02 AM
The browser is irrelevant (as it should be over at CT as well). I'm using IE8, and I have no problems with it on dozens of sites. It's only here and on CT that it is a problem. I beginning to think that vBulletin is anti-MS, and they're formatting their protocol intentionally to make us IE users suffer.

Chris

PS. I installed FireFox just to see how it worked, and personally, I think it $uck$!

PennyGuy
10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Chris, I am using IE8 as well, just logged off and back on to see what would happen. Using the mouse I position the cursor in the Name box, entered by username, then Tab to the password box just fine, selected Remember Me then Log In. Worked fine. Then I logged out, exited IE and reopened and repeated the above. Seemed to work fine for me. So I remain puzzled.

Maybe we need a teenager...............Calling Garrett

green18
10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, I'm no teenager but I did all the steps that Bill did and experianced no problems (IE8 as employed through AOL). I usually remain logged on for extended periods and the only time I have to re-enter the user name/password is when I clear the browser cache or run a uniblue "speed up my PC". Even if I shut the computer down and re-start it, when I click on this site I'm still logged in.

CheetahCats
10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
The browser is irrelevant (as it should be over at CT as well). I'm using IE8, and I have no problems with it on dozens of sites. It's only here and on CT that it is a problem. I beginning to think that vBulletin is anti-MS, and they're formatting their protocol intentionally to make us IE users suffer.

Chris

PS. I installed FireFox just to see how it worked, and personally, I think it $uck$!

Your password it isn't hidden from keyloggers when entering into a 'password' form so unless you have a keylogger running, or someone is standing over your shoulder, i wouldn't worry about mis-tabbing and typing into the wrong box. that's my opinion.

What is it about Firefox that makes you think it sucks?

raider34
10-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Your password it isn't hidden from keyloggers when entering into a 'password' form so unless you have a keylogger running, or someone is standing over your shoulder, i wouldn't worry about mis-tabbing and typing into the wrong box. that's my opinion.

What is it about Firefox that makes you think it sucks?
I agree.

Also, one thing I forgot to ask, what exactly do you mean by "an entirely new set of boxes is opened just below them"? Can you take a screen shot of them so we can see? That may be a problem with how your computer is loading the page.