PDA

View Full Version : How about a forum numismatic museum?

Paddy54
04-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Just got this crazy idea...now I know we can post pictures up at our own web page . But how about a link in this forum where newbies can come and see some coins they may or might not ever see? I don't know if this is doable.....but It be like walking into a coin museum seeing coins and numismatic items. And the owners can have their names on it also and a short story about the item. Just an idea :confused:

Treashunt
04-16-2010, 03:49 PM
okay, any ideas how to do it?

Paddy54
04-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Well first the coins posted have to belong to a member not a picture taken from the net etc....That way any questions can be addressed by the member posting if they wish to do so. I think it would open a door for better edcuation to all and open a door to communication for forum members as they would feel free to look and ask questions . I'm not a puter geek not at all.........so I'm no help even knowing what to do to maybe set up another room so to speak to host & Post pictures
This is just a thought I had...wanted to see if others thought too. Paddy

rzage
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
So we just post a picture of some of our coins , Like my Barber half here , it's graded MS-63 by NGC .

http://www.holsonbakenumismatics.com/images/coins/50c-1900-ngcnew.jpg
_
rzage_________________

rzage
04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Is this what you mean ? I like the idea , maybe the mods can put the coins in order by denomination and type .
rzage

Treashunt
04-16-2010, 05:28 PM
rzage:
That's a beauty!~

BCNumismatics
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I think that creating a gallery associated with this forum would be a good idea.

:edit:

Aidan.

Paddy54
04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
So we just post a picture of some of our coins , Like my Barber half here , it's graded MS-63 by NGC .

http://www.holsonbakenumismatics.com/images/coins/50c-1900-ngcnew.jpg
_
rzage_________________
Nice Barber ........I've never had one that looked as good as that one does! Give ya a $1 for it double your money??

PennyGuy
04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I like the sound of a public Gallery or something that Members can post pics to. A few basic formatting ideas, like separate Obverse and Reverse images, white background, etc, would help to make the viewing somewhat consistent. A bit of info about the coin or series would be helpful to visitors. Just my thoughts.

BCNumismatics
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't like the idea of separate photos or the compulsion of a white background.

Check out :edit:
Aidan.

Missie
04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Great idea Paddy! :photo: I will see what I can do and if I can't figure it out I will see what Garrett can do. :easy:

Catbert
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I like the idea too. Members could post a pic, talk about the coin a bit (perhaps what attracted them to acquire it, maybe some of it's technical features or pointers that might be of use for someone who wants to buy a similar piece, etc.), and state where they bought the coin. Regarding a common picture look, that would be challenging for photo rookies like me. Most all of my pics were taken professionally and happen to have a black background and so, if white were the standard, I couldn't participate.

P.S. I love your B Half, Mr. Rusty. You have quite an eye for nice coins, you old dog!

Jello
04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Great Idea I going to post the newest 2010 US cent design.for the US Cent section

BCNumismatics
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I like the idea too. Members could post a pic, talk about the coin a bit (perhaps what attracted them to acquire it, maybe some of it's technical features or pointers that might be of use for someone who wants to buy a similar piece, etc.), and state where they bought the coin. Regarding a common picture look, that would be challenging for photo rookies like me. Most all of my pics were taken professionally and happen to have a black background and so, if white were the standard, I couldn't participate.

P.S. I love your B Half, Mr. Rusty. You have quite an eye for nice coins, you old dog!

Dan,
I also use a black background as well.

A lot of banknotes & postal orders have white borders,so using a blackground is the only way to get them to show up.

Aidan.

Jello
04-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Well first the coins posted have to belong to a member not a picture taken from the net etc....That way any questions can be addressed by the member posting if they wish to do so. I think it would open a door for better edcuation to all and open a door to communication for forum members as they would feel free to look and ask questions . I'm not a puter geek not at all.........so I'm no help even knowing what to do to maybe set up another room so to speak to host & Post pictures
This is just a thought I had...wanted to see if others thought too. Paddy

Paddy I been down this road before on CT.but with all the remarks folks made imposable to cut & past in to a competed set:doh:
this may help it get done easier if you or the forum would just 1 heading a post named ( Numismatic Society Coin Museum),and only post the coin.if we have folks remarking about the posted coin we may copy& paste like this ((( http://www.numissociety.com/newreply.php?do=postreply)) and having a remarks section below the Museum that would make thing run smoother I think?:easy:

Paddy54
04-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Sounds good to me ...so reading the post seems like everyone is up to give this a shot. I just thought if we as a group could post coins rare new odd but true etc. so others who may have never seen them could have a look. I always felt like I could not go into someone album unless I really knew them or was invited to do so. This way it be open to all, and a good reference point for everyone. Also this came to mind as a forum we could use the value of the holding in our collection to promote this forum as being one that may have Millions of $$$ worth of coins to reference. The limit of this is unreal as when new member post their Rare or low mintage coin or item we can use this to draw more advertisement. To support the forum. Meaning more $$$$ of support making this forum one of the best on the net. It's all how you spin it. And to think as a morgan collector I can come in and see raw and TPG lets say 1893 O mintage only 300K and I can see one from raw to MS-what ever grade. I can use these pictures to grade my coin I just purchased. And this is just an example as it can be any type of nusmatic item. I think if done right this would put us on the map . IMHO what say ye?

davemac
04-17-2010, 02:48 PM
since i love looking at coins as do most of you. i think its a great idea .:thumb:
:$: go for it :$:

Missie
04-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Rusty, that is a BEAUTIFUL Barber Half, you've been holding out on us because I hadn't seen that one before. :kiss:

I still haven't figured out how to pull it off, but I'll figure it out and we'll get it done! :banana:

BCNumismatics
04-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Missie,
The gallery that is attached to :edit: is the program from http://www.photopost.com ,which http://www.zeno.ru also uses.

Aidan.

Missie
04-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Missie,
The gallery that is attached to http://www.coinforums.com is the program from http://www.photopost.com ,which http://www.zeno.ru also uses.

Aidan.

Thanks Aidan! :thumb: I will look into it, that gives me somewhere to start.:banana:

Missie
04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
http://www.photopost.com/why-vbgallery.html

I looked at it and I LOVED it right up until the "buy now" button. :doh: If I'm understanding it correctly it's $129 for the program and for an extra $59 they'll even install it to the forum for us. :easy: The extra expense of the install might be worth it because it would protect the forum from me accidentally killing it while attempting to install another program. Anyone remember what happened last Sunday? :badday:

:surrender: I had the misfortune of balancing my checkbook yesterday and I need a BAILOUT because the forum is in the red $-580. :( The start up cost of software, server space and domain for the site was around $650. I bargain shopped for a server and didn't pay for any "extras" like installation or phone support. :announce: Would you believe a MONTH of phone support was $60?!? :confused: I have been VERY FORTUNATE to have a member loan me $279 to purchase the vBulletin software and two others make contributions with the DONATE button for a total of $70. There isn't anyway that I could have built a site this nice and this quick without the loan for the cost of the vBulletin software. There was a "free" option of a program called phpBB but it just wasn't in the same league as vBulletin. The time, effort and energy that are required to start and maintain a site were better spent with a fully functional software and we achieved that by purchasing vBulletin. Another bonus was that we were all already familiar with vBulletin because many other forums use it.

I'm telling you guys all of this because there isn't anyway I can pay for the gallery software at the minute. :( Garrett is working with Google ads to set up an account and hopefully that will help cover our annual operating expenses, but honestly I don't think it's going to generate enough to repay our start up loan. :btw: We'll earn money from clicks on the ads, so click those babies once they're up! I'm not worried about getting back any of the money I put in, but I would like to repay the loan from our member ASAP. Garrett is rolling in dough from his birthday, maybe he would like to bail his Mom out. :money: :kiss:

Any ideas and/or suggestions are welcome! :btw: I didn't name our benefactors because I just realized I didn't ask them if it was okay for me to name them. I truly thank them for their financial contribution and I thank you ALL for your support, encouragement and contribution to helping this site become THE VERY BEST numismatic forum on the internet! :thumb: :grouphug: :kiss:

Paddy54
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll donate some coins to be auctioned...proceeds to go to the forum. If we do it in house the house will get more of the proceeds. Let me know and I'll set up the auction. Paddy

Missie
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I'll donate some coins to be auctioned...proceeds to go to the forum. If we do it in house the house will get more of the proceeds. Let me know and I'll set up the auction. Paddy

Wow Paddy, that sounds GREAT! :D Thank you! :grouphug:

FreakyGarrettC
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that really sounds awesome. :D PM me so we can discuss the details further. :)

Garrett

BCNumismatics
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.photopost.com/why-vbgallery.html

I looked at it and I LOVED it right up until the "buy now" button. :doh: If I'm understanding it correctly it's $129 for the program and for an extra $59 they'll even install it to the forum for us. :easy: The extra expense of the install might be worth it because it would protect the forum from me accidentally killing it while attempting to install another program. Anyone remember what happened last Sunday? :badday:

:surrender: I had the misfortune of balancing my checkbook yesterday and I need a BAILOUT because the forum is in the red $-580. :( The start up cost of software, server space and domain for the site was around $650. I bargain shopped for a server and didn't pay for any "extras" like installation or phone support. :announce: Would you believe a MONTH of phone support was $60?!? :confused: I have been VERY FORTUNATE to have a member loan me $279 to purchase the vBulletin software and two others make contributions with the DONATE button for a total of $70. There isn't anyway that I could have built a site this nice and this quick without the loan for the cost of the vBulletin software. There was a "free" option of a program called phpBB but it just wasn't in the same league as vBulletin. The time, effort and energy that are required to start and maintain a site were better spent with a fully functional software and we achieved that by purchasing vBulletin. Another bonus was that we were all already familiar with vBulletin because many other forums use it.

I'm telling you guys all of this because there isn't anyway I can pay for the gallery software at the minute. :( Garrett is working with Google ads to set up an account and hopefully that will help cover our annual operating expenses, but honestly I don't think it's going to generate enough to repay our start up loan. :btw: We'll earn money from clicks on the ads, so click those babies once they're up! I'm not worried about getting back any of the money I put in, but I would like to repay the loan from our member ASAP. Garrett is rolling in dough from his birthday, maybe he would like to bail his Mom out. :money: :kiss:

Any ideas and/or suggestions are welcome! :btw: I didn't name our benefactors because I just realized I didn't ask them if it was okay for me to name them. I truly thank them for their financial contribution and I thank you ALL for your support, encouragement and contribution to helping this site become THE VERY BEST numismatic forum on the internet! :thumb: :grouphug: :kiss:

Missie,
If you like,I can forward you Greg's email address off the forum.He can help you out with installation advice for that gallery program,& any technical advice for this type of forum.

Who knows,he may end up joining up here himself.

Aidan.

Paddy54
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Will do on the road this week only on for short peroids of time will get to you this weekend.

FreakyGarrettC
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Here is the gallery (http://www.numissociety.com/picall.php?). I just installed it.

Garrett :D

Missie
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Garrett found us a *FREE* gallery to use, it doesn't have all of the features as the one we can buy for $129, but it's a start! :thumb:

rzage
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
OK if you pay me with a nice new crisp bill from the 1850s . LOL
rzage