PDA

View Full Version : Second Maris 18-L

AnnieM
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Interesting article in the most recent issue of Coin World about a rare NJ copper. Wouldn't it be outstanding to run across one of those!:$:

Jamez
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I read that the other day.. just imagine that sitting in the cookie jar and finding it. Things like that makes one pay attention to dealers junk boxes.. NOT all dealers have a clue about things like that or take the time to go through every coin they get in.. somebody brings in a bag, hands it to dealer, says foreign.. dealer dumps a few in his hand and says YEP.. pays the person, dumps the bag in his 5 for a buck box and the rest of the story is untold..

AnnieM
02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Ooohwow! I need to visit our local coin dealer. I've been so swamped with trying to identify what's in this collection that I haven't ever gone lookin'.

CheetahCats
02-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Ooohwow! I need to visit our local coin dealer. I've been so swamped with trying to identify what's in this collection that I haven't ever gone lookin'.

LOL. Good luck!

I've heard lots of urban legends about the old fogey coin dealer who dumps a bag full of "foreigns" into his bargain bucket, and someone comes along and finds a Goldbrecht Pattern or Chain Cent in the mix! The coots around here claim ignorance about everything, yet seem to have everything in their shops precisely priced accordingly.

AnnieM
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah....just like "junk" antique stores...they're totally informed about current market values (and then some)!

Jamez
02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Well, I know of 2 stores here that do it.. Have watched it happen many times. Customer comes in with a bunch of whatever.. gets dumped on the counter. Silver goes here, foreign goes here, etc. Gets dumped in a counting machine, paid for and dumped in the box. Same goes for the wheat cents they get.. Just goes into a little hopper until they think they have a bag then they sell the bag. They dont have time to sort. granted I have seen them spot check for keys when silver goes through but not everytime.. This came out of the junk foreign box.

AnnieM
02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Very nice. It's always worth a look.

CheetahCats
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, I know of 2 stores here that do it.. Have watched it happen many times. Customer comes in with a bunch of whatever.. gets dumped on the counter. Silver goes here, foreign goes here, etc. Gets dumped in a counting machine, paid for and dumped in the box. Same goes for the wheat cents they get.. Just goes into a little hopper until they think they have a bag then they sell the bag. They dont have time to sort. granted I have seen them spot check for keys when silver goes through but not everytime.. This came out of the junk foreign box.

Indeed. Very nice find!