PDA

View Full Version : Something Happened.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Chat Box has gone bonkers for me.

Somebody tweek a working system or is it me?

Over & out.

Missie
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Dok,

I just tried and it seems to be working fine now.

Try again. :) Sorry for the glitch, don't know what caused it, I didn't get any error messages from the server.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Must be me.

But the chatbox is unavailable at this time to me.

No biggie.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Nope.

I'm dead in the water with chat box......not really the worst that can happen.

I was thinking somebody was flipping some switches.

I'll try again later.

Treashunt
11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Dok:

I have had a problem entering the chat box at times.

I just either:
1) refresh the screen.
or
X out, and reenter.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
tried all the above.

but HEY!

I've got nothing to say right now anyway.:wacko:

Just confused me for a bit.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Just back from a total cold reboot.

Guess it ticked me off but I did my usual "back to square one" thinking.

I may have been hacked and I was using the kool new tool doggle (USB to the new Bose)

when the lights went vacant.

Actually, it's amazing when this stuff ever works, if ever.

Son, Morgan, and buddy just did a startup IT company so they may be messing with me.
:peace:

Don't ya hate it when you teach your kids that being devious is an option?:nana:

Missie
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Just tried again and it's still working for me. I asked others to test it too, so maybe we'll get more feedback. I hope it's not down for everyone, it'll get lonely talking to myself in there. :wacko:

PennyGuy
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I just posted in the chatbox. Worked OK for me. Don't know what to suggest beyond a reboot, which you have already done.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Well.....chatbox is a non~place to me.

Missie
11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
That's weird. Let me make sure you didn't accidentally get banned. (If you did it's by accident....we've only banned one person ever from it (on purpose.)

Jamez
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Its working here.

Dok U Mint
11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
re~chat room.

Seems I can read, but not write.

So what else is new?

I'll work on it tomorrow. Nite all.

green18
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Try a new browser Dok?

CheetahCats
11-29-2011, 05:06 AM
The chat box also disappeared for me this evening too. Sometime around 11ish I believe, but only for a few seconds. I re-clicked on the top "FORUM" link and it reappeared.

PennyGuy
11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Just posted in the chat box again this AM, working OK for me.

Dok U Mint
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Well....it's tomorrow again.

Still not ChatBox for me.

but I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee.

I'm sure there are bigger problems than me making remarks in a forum.:wipe:

Missie
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM
The chat box also disappeared for me this evening too. Sometime around 11ish I believe, but only for a few seconds. I re-clicked on the top "FORUM" link and it reappeared.

Well....it's tomorrow again.

Still not ChatBox for me.

but I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee.

I'm sure there are bigger problems than me making remarks in a forum.:wipe:

CC, that was me. I know to you computer people it sounds silly but as a non computer person when something acts up I give it a timeout. (Hey....I'm a Mom, it's what I've been trained to do!) After scratching my head and then checking every setting on the VSA Chatbox I turned off the chatbox in the admin panel and counted to 10 and then turned it back on. You must have caught me giving it a timeout. :wacko:

Don't hurt yourself laughing and Jim, don't kill me for being in the admin panel. I only gave it a time out. :sofa:

Jamez
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Shaking my head here.

DOK what are you seeing or not seeing.. Can you give me a little more info into whats going on?

Dok U Mint
11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Shaking my head here.

DOK what are you seeing or not seeing.. Can you give me a little more info into whats going on?

well, slunk through once this morning. Chatbox popped up and I made one snide remark.

Then N~U~M started shreeking about her mouse not responding.

One dern thing after another.

But I'm banned again, or whatever. No Chatbox on my end right now.:wacko:

rzage
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Worked for me .

Dok U Mint
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Back to square 2 for me.

Square one was me being able to chat, two is I can read but not post.

Thought I'ld give it a few days rest (well, OK~I've really spent the last four days admitted to the hospital so I had no choice)

and was looking forward to CHATTING to someone that was not trying to suck some blood out of me.

but NO! as I still can not post for now.

Missie
12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Back to square 2 for me.

Square one was me being able to chat, two is I can read but not post.

Thought I'ld give it a few days rest (well, OK~I've really spent the last four days admitted to the hospital so I had no choice)

and was looking forward to CHATTING to someone that was not trying to suck some blood out of me.

but NO! as I still can not post for now.

WHAT??? Why were you in the hospital??? Are you okay? :hug:

green18
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Hope it wasn't serious Dok.....

PennyGuy
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Gee Dok, what are you in for?

rzage
12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Dok hope you're ok . About not being able to chat , could it be a setting or the browser you're using .

Dok U Mint
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Just started feeling "Strange"~

Checked my blood pressure....YIKES!!!!! 197/97.

N~U~M grabbed me my by the ear and dragged me off to the ER.

They decided to keep me there a few days to poke/prod/scan & bleed me alot. Feeling much better now and they finally let me out with more test to follow.

I got home in time to switch from Firefox to Chrome and I can now use the Chatbox, tho.

CheetahCats
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM

They decided to keep me there a few days to poke/prod/scan & bleed me alot. Feeling much better now and they finally let me out with more test to follow.

I got home in time to switch from Firefox to Chrome and I can now use the Chatbox, tho.

Weird you're having problems with Firefox. That's what I normally use.

Glad to hear everything thus far checked out okay with your health :)

rzage
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Weird you're having problems with Firefox. That's what I normally use.

Glad to hear everything thus far checked out okay with your health :)

CC , why would different browsers work differently like this ?

CheetahCats
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
CC , why would different browsers work differently like this ?

It has to do with how each browser interprets and renders the scripts and programming that make up a web page. Each of the browsers independently use their own method for interpreting the web page code. They are all supposed to stick with a world-wide standard, and for the most part they all do, but there are negligible differences. One browser may draw a line, position text, or display a photo a little differently. Add up those various differences, and the sum of a website many times looks and behaves differently between browsers.

For example, the underlying web code which makes up this page is about 600 lines of instructions. Each of those instructions may be rendered differently depending on a particular person's browser. And given that there are about 5 different popular browsers out there (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc.,) that's 3000 different ways that a page's instructions could be interpreted. Toss in web-browser versions, and that number multiplies even more.

green18
12-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Glad you're off the danger list Dok, but keep tabs on what's going on. I'm sure N~U~M is gonna keep close watch on ya. And keep usin' Chrome. That's my fav too......

Dok U Mint
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Yep.
Firefox had always been my weapon of choice & it worked fine until it stopped.

I'm getting chance now to catch up and noticed RZ & Greenie both mentioned another browser....and now (knock on wooden nickles) it's working.

ThanX folks.

Mark_H
12-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I only use IE and it is now happening on my home PC. The chat box just continually says loading, even double clicking to make a forum read does not work. It does not happen on my desktop at work. When I get a chance I will reboot the home PC to see if that clears it up.

Mark_H
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Interesting got this error when just trying to set a test message. Time to play.

vBulletin Message

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (http://www.numissociety.com/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

NumisSociety

Missie
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Interesting got this error when just trying to set a test message. Time to play.

vBulletin Message

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator (http://www.numissociety.com/sendmessage.php) and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

NumisSociety

Were you using IE when you got the message?

PennyGuy
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
I only use IE and it is now happening on my home PC. The chat box just continually says loading, even double clicking to make a forum read does not work. It does not happen on my desktop at work. When I get a chance I will reboot the home PC to see if that clears it up.

I just had the same problem Mark also with IE7. After logging out, rebooting, etc with no improvement I deleted all brower history and rebooted. That did it for me.

Mark_H
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I tried that. I went into the options did a delete all, then a reboot. I will try again with a shutdown. Then maybe I will check to see if something is hiding.

Mark_H
12-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Okay - I deleted everything under temp internet files. Shutdown the computer and turned it back on and I still get the problem. I can't remember which night I fell asleep and left the computer on. Some kind of update got downloaded and rebooted the computer. It also reset my default email to outlook versus outlook express. I got that fixed and today the chatbox does not work for me. I know it was working when I checked in last night. I will keep poking around unless someone else has another idea. I really do not want to change browsers or even download IE 8 - at least not yet.

green18
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I incessantly clean up after myself after each computer session. I delete all browser cookies and what not, and also employ CCleaner. It's freeware and I've found it to be marvelously proficient at cleaning stuff up that the other "cleaner programs" miss. It's freeware.

disclaimer: your results may vary......

CheetahCats
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Mark and Bill aught to think about a move over to Firefox. IMO it's much more faster and efficient, plus has so many Add-Ons that allow for more browsing control.

I've had good results with CCleaner, too btw.

Mark_H
12-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Well - I can only use IE to connect into work through their VPN. So I will stick with that. Other things that do not work know include - double clicking a forum(the pencil) does not mark it read. In the search feature typing a user name does not pop up a list like it used to. I also notice on each page in IE I get "done, but with errors on page" If I look at the errors they are $V is null or not an object, and then Yahoo.util.connect is null or not an object. This is the only vbulletin forum I am having an issue with.

I also noticed if I view the source from the main page I see this in the code. Since I really do not know what this means I took the securitytoken value out, but saved it. Will have to check this out tomorrow somemore.
<div id="searchBox" class="searchBox">
<form action="search.php?do=process" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="s" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="securitytoken" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="do" value="process" />
<span class="searchBox_container"><input type="text" value="" class="textbox" name="query" tabindex="99"/></span>
<span class="searchBox_button"><input type="image" src="images/styles/AnimatedArena/buttons/search.png" name="submit" onclick="document.getElementById('navbar_search').submit;" tabindex="100"/></span>

CheetahCats
12-08-2011, 12:37 AM
That would make sense that your work folks require IE when connecting through their VPN pipe.

That said, if you're on a remote computer, why connect via remote VPN at all, if you're just browsing the web and not actually doing work?

My PCs at my home office all have VPN connectivity into my client sites over my own internet connection, and all of them require IE because they can keep a tighter grip with IE's security parameters. But that said, when I don't have a need to be connected into those remote sites, I don't activate any of the VPNs. I simply just use the internet connection -- which enables me to use whatever browsers I want. Make sense?