PDA

View Full Version : Tell the Landlord the Rant is due.

cpm9ball
03-13-2013, 11:17 PM
I've mentioned this before, but have yet to get an adequate explanation........

Why is it that the column of recent posts contains 10-12 posts from 5 threads, and why don't new threads show up immediately in the threads column as well.

About 40 minutes ago, I posted a new thread (about a book) and there has been one reply, but not only does it not show in the recent posts column but it doesn't show in the latest threads either.

Do these have to be screened by the censors before they can be posted?

Chris

Missie
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
I've mentioned this before, but have yet to get an adequate explanation........

Why is it that the column of recent posts contains 10-12 posts from 5 threads, and why don't new threads show up immediately in the threads column as well.

About 40 minutes ago, I posted a new thread (about a book) and there has been one reply, but not only does it not show in the recent posts column but it doesn't show in the latest threads either.

Do these have to be screened by the censors before they can be posted?

Chris

I don't know why it isn't showing up but I do know it doesn't have to be approved to show up. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

green18
03-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Must be a regional thing. I ain't detecting that sort of thing in the North East.........:devil:

MrWeaselUV
03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
The ghost in the machine not like you :D

Missie
03-14-2013, 02:19 AM
I've looked for an hour and I'm ready to smash something. I'm sorry Chris but I give up. I will ask CC if he's got any idea about WTH the problem is.

I actually considered just turning off the side stuff and declaring it "fixed" but I didn't let my temper with the gremlins make me do that.

Sorry Chris, maybe somebody else will have an idea or I'll get struck by lightning during the night and have a bright idea.

Missie
03-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Hey Chris,

Here's another problem I've noticed: vBulletin may have something against you because when I "Like" your post it never shows up as a "Like" :wacko: I've been working on that one for months and haven't figured it out. :(

Missie
03-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Well heck, I just went back to forum page and they're all showing up Chris. Problem solved and I'm taking full credit for it. Just be patient, it seems those columns do things at their own pace. :p

23015 23016

Click 'em and they'll get bigger.

PennyGuy
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
My guess is that new items won't show until the page you are looking at is refreshed. Hitting reload, or going to a different page and coming back seems to work for me. Mostly I use the New Posts button to see new posts anyway.

rzage
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I know the person making a new thread won't see it in the new thread column until someone responds to it . I always use the what's new feature to find posts .

CheetahCats
03-15-2013, 03:36 AM
The features on the right are widgets that feed from the forum database. The database is cached and indexed. Thus there is a delay between when brand new threads are submitted, and when they get indexed, cached, and appear in the widgets. The forum is cached to improve site performance and reduce server load. Threads and posts are indexed to improve performance with queries and topic threading/display.

The tradeoff is the delay.

cpm9ball
03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
The features on the right are widgets that feed from the forum database. The database is cached and indexed. Thus there is a delay between when brand new threads are submitted, and when they get indexed, cached, and appear in the widgets. The forum is cached to improve site performance and reduce server load. Threads and posts are indexed to improve performance with queries and topic threading/display.

The tradeoff is the delay.

Thanks, CC!

Chris

Missie
03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
And the award for knowing what the problem was goes to the Kitty Cat! :woot: Thanks CC! :)