PDA

View Full Version : I must be overlooking something!

cpm9ball
09-08-2013, 08:53 AM
When I opened NS this morning, I noticed that "German Empire" took up all but one item in "New Forum Posts". I've mentioned this before, and I can't figure out if I'm overlooking something in my Settings or what. It would be nice if I could see a list of different threads with the most recent posts.

Chris

Treashunt
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
hmm..

It worked for me

rzage
09-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Chris are you talking about the "What's New" that you can hit at the top of the page ? It should have only one listing for the "German Empire" thread .

cpm9ball
09-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Chris are you talking about the "What's New" that you can hit at the top of the page ? It should have only one listing for the "German Empire" thread .

No, I was referring to the column on the right side of the home page.

Chris

PennyGuy
09-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Chris
That box you are looking at shows the most recent posts, even if they are all in the same thread. In this case Siberian Man was posting a series of pics of coins, using a separate post for each pic. So, his string of posts filled up that "new posts" box". Looks like one of those "operating as designed" things. Normally there might be a single post to a thread, then another post to another thread.

cpm9ball
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Chris
That box you are looking at shows the most recent posts, even if they are all in the same thread. In this case Siberian Man was posting a series of pics of coins, using a separate post for each pic. So, his string of posts filled up that "new posts" box". Looks like one of those "operating as designed" things. Normally there might be a single post to a thread, then another post to another thread.

Yes, I was aware of that, but it seems kind of dumb to have it set up that way when one post can take you to the same thread with all of the subsequent posts.

It's a waste of space on the home page.

Chris

PennyGuy
09-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Not being the one to do the set up I won't go so far as to call a default choice as dumb. It may just be a choice to have it that way or not at all. If it is a big problem you can try the Get New Posts button in the black bar across the top.

Missie
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Not being the one to do the set up I won't go so far as to call a default choice as dumb. It may just be a choice to have it that way or not at all. If it is a big problem you can try the Get New Posts button in the black bar across the top.

Thanks Bill, you are correct. It's an "on" or "off" option. I personally prefer it off but we got request to have it back on when I killed it last year. I don't use it and like the less busy look of the page without it. I like the "get new posts" feature better because it's in real time where as the sidebar isn't.

rzage
09-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I always use the New posts for the same reason as Missie .

green18
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I always use the New posts for the same reason as Missie .

Me too. Like liquor, it gets you there quicker.........:)

Missie
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
I just spent the last 45 minutes checking the settings and on or off is the option. If all the newest posts are in one thread then that's how it will display in the sidebar.