Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a forum numismatic museum?

Liked 2,489 Times in 1,853 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking

How about a forum numismatic museum?

Just got this crazy idea...now I know we can post pictures up at our own web page . But how about a link in this forum where newbies can come and see some coins they may or might not ever see? I don't know if this is doable.....but It be like walking into a coin museum seeing coins and numismatic items. And the owners can have their names on it also and a short story about the item. Just an idea

Forum Co-Founder/Grumpy Treashunt's Avatar
    Liked 1,771 Times in 1,435 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    okay, any ideas how to do it?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Well first the coins posted have to belong to a member not a picture taken from the net etc....That way any questions can be addressed by the member posting if they wish to do so. I think it would open a door for better edcuation to all and open a door to communication for forum members as they would feel free to look and ask questions . I'm not a puter geek not at all.........so I'm no help even knowing what to do to maybe set up another room so to speak to host & Post pictures
    This is just a thought I had...wanted to see if others thought too. Paddy

Liked 3,387 Times in 2,836 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    So we just post a picture of some of our coins , Like my Barber half here , it's graded MS-63 by NGC .

_
    rzage_________________

Liked 3,387 Times in 2,836 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Is this what you mean ? I like the idea , maybe the mods can put the coins in order by denomination and type .
    rzage

Forum Co-Founder/Grumpy Treashunt's Avatar
    Liked 1,771 Times in 1,435 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    rzage:
    That's a beauty!~

Banned
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I think that creating a gallery associated with this forum would be a good idea.

:edit:

Aidan.
    Last edited by Missie; 05-15-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Rule 3A

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by rzage View Post
    So we just post a picture of some of our coins , Like my Barber half here , it's graded MS-63 by NGC .

_
    rzage_________________
    Nice Barber ........I've never had one that looked as good as that one does! Give ya a $1 for it double your money??

PennyGuy
    Numismatic Society Guest
    I like the sound of a public Gallery or something that Members can post pics to. A few basic formatting ideas, like separate Obverse and Reverse images, white background, etc, would help to make the viewing somewhat consistent. A bit of info about the coin or series would be helpful to visitors. Just my thoughts.

Banned
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I don't like the idea of separate photos or the compulsion of a white background.

Check out :edit:
    Aidan.
    Last edited by Missie; 05-15-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Rule 3A

Liked 848 Times in 667 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Great idea Paddy! I will see what I can do and if I can't figure it out I will see what Garrett can do.
    Missie

If you can look at a dog and not feel vicarious excitement and affection, you must be a cat.

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I like the idea too. Members could post a pic, talk about the coin a bit (perhaps what attracted them to acquire it, maybe some of it's technical features or pointers that might be of use for someone who wants to buy a similar piece, etc.), and state where they bought the coin. Regarding a common picture look, that would be challenging for photo rookies like me. Most all of my pics were taken professionally and happen to have a black background and so, if white were the standard, I couldn't participate.

P.S. I love your B Half, Mr. Rusty. You have quite an eye for nice coins, you old dog!

Banned
    Liked 178 Times in 154 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Great Idea I going to post the newest 2010 US cent design.for the US Cent section
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-D lms cent N&#103.jpg   2010-D NGC MS-65 FU&.jpg  

Banned
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I like the idea too. Members could post a pic, talk about the coin a bit (perhaps what attracted them to acquire it, maybe some of it's technical features or pointers that might be of use for someone who wants to buy a similar piece, etc.), and state where they bought the coin. Regarding a common picture look, that would be challenging for photo rookies like me. Most all of my pics were taken professionally and happen to have a black background and so, if white were the standard, I couldn't participate.

P.S. I love your B Half, Mr. Rusty. You have quite an eye for nice coins, you old dog!
    Dan,
    I also use a black background as well.

A lot of banknotes & postal orders have white borders,so using a blackground is the only way to get them to show up.

Aidan.

Banned
    Liked 178 Times in 154 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking

Thumbs up My 2 cents/as I tried to do this with a Wheat cent set on Cointalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy54 View Post
    Well first the coins posted have to belong to a member not a picture taken from the net etc....That way any questions can be addressed by the member posting if they wish to do so. I think it would open a door for better edcuation to all and open a door to communication for forum members as they would feel free to look and ask questions . I'm not a puter geek not at all.........so I'm no help even knowing what to do to maybe set up another room so to speak to host & Post pictures
    This is just a thought I had...wanted to see if others thought too. Paddy
    Paddy I been down this road before on CT.but with all the remarks folks made imposable to cut & past in to a competed set
    this may help it get done easier if you or the forum would just 1 heading a post named ( Numismatic Society Coin Museum),and only post the coin.if we have folks remarking about the posted coin we may copy& paste like this (((
    http://www.numissociety.com/newreply.php?do=postreply)) and having a remarks section below the Museum that would make thing run smoother I think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast